Welgevonden Game Reserve
Size: 37,500 ha / 375 km2
Species Numbers: * 58 Mammals * 307 Birds * 56 Reptiles
Big Five: Yes - all are present
* Rolling wooded mountains cut by deep rocky ravines and majestic gorges with sweeping views to far horizons
* Guided tours to the ancient and delicate Bushman rock art within a Big Five environment
* An all-season destination given the high altitude and temperate climate
* Historically, wildlife was never hunted so game viewing is always up close and personal
Welgevonden Game Reserve was proclaimed in 1993 and lies in the Waterberg plateau, just north of Johannesburg. Aptly meaning ‘well found’ or ‘well discovered’, Welgevonden is a place of rare and rugged beauty, plentiful wildlife and prolific birdlife. The spectacular scenery, a diverse mosaic of habitats and excellent game viewing make Welgevonden quite unlike anywhere else on earth. To visit here is to experience the spirit of true wilderness.
Although Welgevonden boasts the Big Five, there are also rare and unusual species such as brown hyena, aardwolf, aardvark and pangolin – all best seen at night. Grassy plains abound with antelope from the largest eland to the diminutive duiker, all of which attract the large predators such as lion, leopard and cheetah. It is the diversity of habitat on the reserve that encourages such a wide range of wildlife as well as over 300 bird species, including rare blue cranes.
Guests visiting Welgevonden enjoy unlimited traversing through the reserve and experience an environment where biodiversity conservation and game viewing are managed in harmony. Welgevonden protects a unique and special environment and the reserve’s management is deeply committed to ongoing conservation, research and development.
The closest major city is Johannesburg or Pretoria which is just over a 2.5 hour drive. Two gravel landing strips are available on the reserve and numerous lodges have private helipads.
* The park is malaria-free
* No private vehicles are permitted ensuring the ultimate wilderness experience
* Accommodation is in exclusive private game lodges