Pilanesberg Game Reserve
Size: 57,200 ha / 572 km2
Species Numbers: * 98 Mammals * 343 Birds * 67 Reptiles
Big Five: Yes - all are present
* Diverse wildlife viewing with all of the Big Five present
* Close to Johannesburg and Pretoria for an easy weekend getaway
* Beautiful scenery in a volcanic crater
Pilanesberg Game Reserve rates high amongst the world's outstanding geological phenomena. The area is fringed by three concentric ridges or rings of hills termed the "Pilanesberg National Park Alkaline Ring Complex". This vast circular geological feature is the crater of a long extinct volcano and the result of eruptions some 1,200 million years ago. It is one of the largest volcanic complexes of its type in the world, the rare rock types and formations make it a unique geological feature.
The park has a rich array of southern African wildlife, including the Big Five, and the bird life diversity is excellent.
The closest major city is Johannesburg or Pretoria which is just over a 2 hour drive. Charter flights can take you from Johannesburg to Pilanesberg International Airport.
* The park is malaria-free
* The park borders the popular entertainment complex Sun City
* Accommodation is mainly in 4 and 5 star luxury private game lodges